Some people don’t change as times do; they just get louder. Listening today, with my father, to an interview by Sean Hannity with Rush Limbaugh on Fox and the rhetoric is venomous but empty — little but name calling.
So, what is Limbaugh’s rhetorical legacy otherwise? Not much. Here from About.com are 18 defining statements from Limbaugh’s own mouth. The man clearly defines himself.
- “The phony soldiers.” –on U.S. service members who support withdrawal from Iraq (Source) “He discusses his service in Iraq, the wounds he suffered there, and he says to me in this ad, ‘Until you have the guts to call me a ‘phony soldier’ to my face, stop telling lies about my service.’ You know, this is such a blatant use of a valiant combat veteran, lying to him about what I said, then strapping those lies to his belt, sending him out via the media in a TV ad to walk into as many people as he can walk into.” –denouncing an ad by VoteVets.org featuring Iraq war veteran Brian McGough by likening him to a suicide bomber
- “He is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He’s moving all around and shaking and it’s purely an act. … This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn’t take his medication or he’s acting.” –on an ad by Michael J. Fox endorsing Claire McCaskill for Senate for supporting embryonic stem cell research (Watch video)
- “And don’t forget, Sherrod Brown is black. There’s a racial component here, too. And now, the newspaper that I’m reading all this from is The New York Times, and they, of course, don’t mention that.” –on the 2006 Ohio Senate primary race involving then-Rep. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), who is white
- “This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation…I’m talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You ever heard of the need to blow some steam off?” –on the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal
- “Too many whites are getting away with drug use…Too many whites are getting away with drug sales…The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river, too.” –in 1995
- “I am addicted to prescription pain medication.” –in 2003
- “Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society.”
- “We’re not sexists, we’re chauvinists — we’re male chauvinist pigs, and we’re happy to be because we think that’s what men were destined to be. We think that’s what women want.”
- “She comes to me when she wants to be fed. And after I feed her — guess what — she’s off to wherever she wants to be in the house, until the next time she gets hungry. She’s smart enough to know she can’t feed herself. She’s actually a very smart cat. She gets loved. She gets adoration. She gets petted. She gets fed. And she doesn’t have to do anything for it, which is why I say this cat’s taught me more about women, than anything my whole life.” –on his cat
- “She sounds like a screeching ex-wife.” –on Sen. Hillary Clinton
- “I’ve been racking my brain. I’ve been trying to figure out how Bob Dole’s luggage got on my airplane…I told the doctor, I said, ‘Look, I’m worried about the next election.’ … A misunderstanding.” –after he was detained by custom officials for possessing Viagra with a prescription made out in someone else’s name
- “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.”
- “They oughtta change Black History Month to Black Progress Month and start measuring it.”
- “Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”
- “Sorry to say this, I don’t think he’s been that good from the get-go. I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well.” –on Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, while working as a commentator on ESPN
- “The only way to reduce the number of nuclear weapons is to use them.”
- “There are more acres of forestland in America today than when Columbus discovered the continent in 1492.”
- “I know these people like I know every square inch of my glorious naked body.” –on Democrats
In search of fairness, boycottliberalism.com has a long list of Limbuagh’s greatest (sic) quotes. Really? More of the same.